homestead - Re: [Homestead] And ye shall be HEALED! the magic of elderberries

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And ye shall be HEALED! the magic of elderberries
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:55:37 -0500

Cool website. I know other women herbalists along the Gila.
Glad you are well Bev!--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Note: this post will also appear on my blog,
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/

I am back from the brink of Viral Hell and I refuse to worship the
Porcelain God ever again. :) I am healed.

Last Saturday at lunch, quite suddenly, just after I blogged/bragged
about my mullein oil cure in fact, I got a headache and felt nauseous.
I went outside to try to throw up, but could not. Thinking that I just
needed to eat lunch, I went and got some soup from the pantry, and as I
reentered the kitchen with the soup, I passed out cold in the floor.
Apparently it was the sudden onset of a gastrointestinal virus and I
passed out from a fever spike. It's never happened to me before that I
can recall, but I have no idea of why I passed out. I did not even see
it coming; it was as if someone clobbered me with a wrench: Lights out.
Some time went by, I climbed into bed and just laid there. Late that
afternoon when Skyguy came home, he took my temperature and it was 103,
which is super high for me since my normal is 96.7(thyroid issues). I
was really sick for a while. The GI distress started on Sunday morning
with diarrhea, but by this time, my temperature had dropped to 99 and
hovered between 99 and 100 all week until last night, when it rose to
101. Yesterday morning I decided to called the doctor to make an
appointment. They told me that this GI flu is going around and they
have one patient who has been fighting it for 16 days. The nurse I spoke
with shared that she personally had this wicked virus for 7 days, but
did not feel 'well' for two additional weeks. They just told me to stay
hydrated-no visit needed. So there I was on Day 5 of a beastly illness
with no end in sight. The headaches, fever, and body aches were
relentless, as is typical with the flu. I lost 15 pounds and because of
the infection I could not take my RA meds for the second week in a row.
It was frustrating because I have so much to do, including two doctors
appointments and a formal job offer luncheon to attend. The thought of
possibly being sick next week was not only depressing, but I knew that
would mean missing a third week of my RA meds, and that is a serious
thing. Desperate times call for desperate actions.

What kind of medicine woman would I be if I didn't take my own meds,
right? To be honest, I was so sick Saturday through Tuesday that I did
not even think about anything, let alone meds. After all, I've been
brainwashed that the only drugs for flu are Tamiflu and a perhaps a few
others that should be taken in the first 48 hours of illness. So it
wasn't until my best friend Ava, in a phone call, reminded me that I had
just made an elixir for this very illness and I should take it. Recall
my blog post from last week where Ava and I canned all day and made and
Elderberry Elixir. So Wednesday morning, with a fever of 99.8, after I
hung up from the doctor, I found an eyedropper and dipped into the
elixir. It took some serious guts as you must remember that this
Elixir is brandy based, and brandy is not exactly what one thinks of
five days into a gastrointestinal virus at ten in the morning on an
empty stomach. It was akin to the old 'hair of the dog' cure, but I
held it down. Two hours later, my fever rose to 100.3, and I took
another dose. I took about half a teaspoon of this Elixir every two
hours or so, and throughout the afternoon and evening my temperature
crept up, but I actually felt better. I did not feel like I had a fever
of 101, I felt almost normal last night. It was very, very odd. This
morning was Day 6 of the virus and my temp was 97 degrees when I woke
up. I got up, poured a cup of Joe, and kissed that pint jar of Elixir
next to the coffee pot. I am cured. All day long I've had no fever and
no GI symptoms. My temperature has been hovering between 97 and 98,
which is still above normal for me, so I have continued the elixir
regime, but I feel great.

The short story is that I, the sickly one, the one with a weakened
immune system, the one who usually keeps a 24 hour bug for a week,
kicked ass on a wickedly evil 7-16 day GI virus. How did that happen?

It happened because of elderberries and the magic of everyday, easily
accessible medicines, knowledge bases that are almost lost, but that
thankfully, a few souls like Kiva are preserving. I feel such a kinship
with this woman; I should hope to have her knowledge if only in my
dreams. She is my new hero. I wrote to thank her as I like giving
credit where credit is due.
http://bearmedicineherbals.com/

Bev