homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:23:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2009 8:25:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
waltonrp AT gmail.com writes:

> >Okay we determined that the potatoes are best left in the soil until
> fall.
> My question is at what point are they going to start to grow.
> I think it was September last year when I dug my very poor potatoes
> (drought) and some of them were starting to grow.

I've never had that happen, so I couldn't say. Generally a potato starts
to grow the next year.

> >If I wanted to plant a few fall potatoes, what would I need to do to the
> potatoes to make them want to grow? Chill them?

It would be interesting to try that. Most of the time my fall potatoes
come from old, sprouty, wrinkled potatoes left at the bottom of the bin from
last year's.

James