homestead - [Homestead] cycling vs. obesity rates

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] cycling vs. obesity rates
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:33:57 -0400

http://fwix.com/share/6_55c91d15dd

Yeah for biking...

I just finished canning tomatoes (juice and stewed) after picking a slew of beans this morning. Next up is dog washing, both babies need a bath in the worst way, and after that I'll start snapping beans. Hopefully by the time I go to bed tonight, I'll have 6 or 7 meals of beans in the freezer, at least. For dinner, beef, bean, and ancho enchiladas with fresh tomato sauce. In the middle of all of that, somewhere, I have to find time to ride.
Last Saturday was my first day back in a shoe, and that afternoon, I rode my bike for the first time in a month. I felt so out of shape, but amazingly, I did something that I did not think I could do-I made it to the campground and back. The old forest service campground is a mile and a half from here, all uphill, a mile of slippery gravel. I tried to go up there last summer, but only made it 300 feet or so before turning back. Of course, Sunday was sheer torture. To avoid putting too much pressure under where I had the surgery, I moved my foot forward a bit on the pedal and effectively inflamed two different parts of my foot. Dumb, dumb, dumb. So after a few days of rest, I am ready to go again.
The bad thing about cycling is that it does nothing for belly fat. It burns calories, yes; it strengthens the heart and lungs, yes; it will sculpt your legs, yes; but it does zip for your stomach. Anyway, now that I have proven to myself that I can handle the forest service roads and gravel, I may be a bit more adventurous and really put this bike to the test. It is a cool, quiet way to venture into the woods.

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/