homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aquaponics

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aquaponics
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:44:13 -0400

Do you position your holes top or bottom? Seems
like we had less clogging issues with holes up. Over time, that might
present a problem with algea.

I have the holes aimed down; I started with them pointing up, but when the pump first came on, it would shoot water up into the air (and on me, if I was standing there).

So you started with just gravel, all one size, like nickel sized?

I give the most mental energy to what the growing medium should be.

My gravel is bigger than that, like 1", but isn't well graded, so there are bigger bits and small pieces. We got it to regrade the driveway and had a pile left over.

Did you ever try rafting the plants in a shallow pan of fish effluent
separate from the fish?

No; that would have required more plumbing, and I wasn't that interested.

What kind of timer were you using? I got two of them, just cheapie
things that you plug the pump into. I think they were like $5 each.

I got a good deal on a digital timer, with 20 programmable settings. It plugs in and really isn't any different than the cheap timers.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA