homestead - [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:04:56 -0400

Hey all,

I finally got 1/2 of my clover field plowed down. It has been wet
here. I'm learning a lot about how a cover crop can make your planting
late! It was a bear to turn under, too. Kept getting tangled around
the plow. I ended up cutting it down first.

Yesterday, I planted a 1/4 acre separate plot that was in clover to SS
grass. I'm going to experiment with Sudan as a cover crop this year. I
might graze some goats on it, also. Initially, organic matter was my
thought, I've been researching more and read that SS mines phosphorus
and potassium. Also if you cut it when it's about 3 feet, the roots go
wild and make a huge amount of growth.

The other reason for planting SS in this spot is that I'm hoping the
deer will stop off to eat there on their way to my corn. Not sure if
that will work out :>)

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass, Robert Walton, 05/17/2009