homestead - Re: [Homestead] Horses, lab errors, and educational defiicits

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Horses, lab errors, and educational defiicits
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:14:13 -0400

EarthNSky wrote:
Dilutions. Fundamental math. Probably a factor of ten, or they messed up the units. Sad, sad state of affairs. As typical, I smell a lawsuit.

Or carelessly used mg for meq, or grain/gram, or some other wacky conversion mess. It would pay humans and critters alike if the pharmaceutical field could manage to standardize their measurement systems worldwide.

I just picked up potassium script yesterday; someone had used milligrams (mg) instead of milliequivilants (meq). Fortunately for me I'm suspicious of them all.....
In this case especially glaring since every doctor I've worked for or gone to (or any of my clients have used)up here has written all scripts for K in meq's. The very idea that someone thought "mg's" should have been a heads-up.....apparently didn't think at all. Question and check every med you are forced to buy, both for name of med and dosage, and make sure it's the same as the RX called for.

SJ