homestead - Re: [Homestead] chickpeas

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] chickpeas
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:32:57 -0800

I've always grown them on the outside fence of the garden area. If they grew, they grew. If they didn't, they didn't. So, needless to say, they always grew <g>

I always let them dry on the vine. Then the kidlets liked to shell them. They'd use the nut crackers (you don't have to but they liked to) and would race to see who could shell the most.

*I* do not have the patience to do cici beans! I want results, not two piddling little peas at a time. <g>

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Chickpeas are related to vetch and somewhat related to lentils. They will
grow on ghastly poor ground. Plant them while the weather is cool, they take a
LONG time to mature.

You can use any seed you buy in the grocery store.

Here's the rub though. You get two (count 'em) two peas per pod. Sometimes
three, but mostly two. You won't get anywhere near the yield per plant as
with shell beans but you can get a respcectable yield per square foot.

The pods are tough. You can green shell them or let them dry until they
rattle in the pod.

Same with lentils. Those suckers are tiny and you get exactly two per pod.