homestead - Re: [Homestead] Transplanting depth

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Transplanting depth
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:12:32 EDT

> >I'm not in an experimental mood-don't want to risk losing anything.
> Is there anything that can be planted deeper when it is being
> transplanted, the way one deep plants tomatoes and peppers?

The deeper you plant tomatoes the better. I generally strip off all the
leaves but he top crown and bury the rest of the plant.

Peppers are riskier. Like tomatoes do with a vengence, peppers will somewhat
set roots along the stem if it is in contact with the soil. But the risk of
rot and fungus is greater.

Not a good idea with brassicas. If the plant is leggy, it is better to plant
it at the depth it was as a seedling and heap dry mulch around it instead of
soil.

It is counter productive to plant onion plants (or leeks or garlic or
shallots) more than an inch. The plant wants to form bulb at ground level
and it
will be annoyed if it has to adjust itself to any depth other than that.

Obviously melons, squashes, and cukes will rot in a minute if planted too
deeply.

I also transplant turnips, kale, spinach, beets, lettuce, and just about
everything else by carrots and parsnips. Ground level or maybe just a tiny
bit
more for support is best.

To best establish and survive transplants, make a hole for the plant, hold
the plant in place - where you want it and at the depth you want it, and then
water the plant with the result of washing the soil onto the roots. Then
press
the soil around the plant to fill in the rest of the hole.

James