homestead - Re: [Homestead] Buttermilk legume answer for Bev's previous question

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Buttermilk legume answer for Bev's previous question
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:31:17 -0500

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Bev, I'm waaay behind on answering stuff.

Tis okay, so am I...

/

We had our second Healthy Harvest seminar today, and I talked about
how I start seeds and brought up this technique. I learned from one
of the attendees that supposedly you can mix buttermilk and lichen in
a blender and paint it on rocks to make it grow and "age" the rock.

Yes, I've done that a few times.

Legumes have many different flowers types, so it's not always easy to
recognize them. For instance, the fuzzy flowers of sensitive briar
or mimosa don't look at all like a sweet pea or lupine flower, which
don't look like an orchid tree (Bauhinia sp.). But one thing almost
all have in common is a joined stamen-filament. In other words, if
you dissect the flower, the stamens look like matches all attached at
the bottom instead of separate. We mostly recognize legumes by their
fruit, or pod. But some aren't as readily recognizable, for instance
the curled burr that comes off burr clover doesn't look like a pod.

--Sage

Sage, I know you are busy, but if you could just write a botany lesson-a
paragraph or so a week, and post it here, that would be cool. Is that
Kentucky coffee tree we were talking about before a legume? It has the
pods....

The other day I was reading about mycorrhiza and came across a
description of the nitrogen fixing process that legumes have. I swear,
sometimes plants seem like an alien life form. It truly is an amazing
ability for a plant to have, I think. I just started thinking about
evolution and adaption and how it was really cool that the plants
adapted to infertile soils by pulling nitrogen from the air..it is
really cool when you think about it, but then, the little things in life
impress me.

I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/
EarthNSky Farm, Northwest Georgia, USA