homestead - [Homestead] Cave house- Festus, MO -- reader's comments

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cave house- Festus, MO -- reader's comments
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:30:21 -0800 (PST)

I'm sure most have seen this cave house on the news this week --- being
auctioned on ebay. This is from a site that has reader's comments. I know
there are people on the list in or from MO. Some of the comments about
Festus are hilarious -- unless you are the head of the COC in Festus.

Anyway,

Cave house for sale in Festus, MO

Posted by Cory Doctorow, February 20, 2009 4:21 AM | permalink

$300,000 is the starting bid on this eBay listing for a three-bedroom home
built in a 15,000 sqft cave in Festus, MO, formerly a roller-rink/concert
venue that entertained the MC5, Ike and Tina Turner and Ted Nugent. Sounds
like a hell of a place to live (and you gotta feel for the family that's
losing their dream). It's got three freshwater springs and there are fourteen
waterfalls on the property. Yowza.

On May 19th, 2008, the City of Festus approved our occupancy inspection for
the cave. Officially, this completed our project. There are still projects
that can be started, completed and developed. Plenty of room in our 17,000
square foot home.
This is now where we live, work, raise our family and celebrate life! Here
are a few of the details about the place: Historic, regionally famous cave:
15,000 square feet, divided into three main chambers.

The front chamber houses the main part of the 3-bedroom finished house.

The middle chamber holds the laundry room, storage, and a spare bath. The
middle chamber made a great party room. 80 feet by 80 feet.

The back chamber still has the stage where Ted Nugent, Bob Seger, Ike and
Tina Turner, the MC5 and many other bands performed.

Property: 2.8 scenic, partially wooded acres provide excellent privacy and
the feel of the country right in the middle of town, just several blocks from
shopping, dining, and other conveniences.

Energy efficiency: Geothermal and passive solar keep the home comfortable
year-round without a furnace or air conditioning. In spite of the vast size
of the home, our energy costs here run about the same as they did in our 800
square-foot starter home. The home naturally stays a little cooler than the
average above-ground home, but we found that we acclimated quickly and
easily.

Unique Cave Home over 15,000 sf. Beautiful setting
Caveland US (Thanks Fipi Lele!)

Discussion

Take a look at this #1 posted by Paul Coleman , February 20, 2009 4:48 AM
This is my dream home in so many ways.

Take a look at this #2 posted by Kyle Malashewski , February 20, 2009 5:39 AM
i live in an old pool hall and i thought that was pretty cool until i saw
this!

Take a look at this #3 posted by Anonymous , February 20, 2009 5:46 AM
This place has a good folklore around it. I used to live in the area and some
people talked about it--always consistent with the description in your post.
Another feature--according to those descriptions--were the low ceilings,
which supposedly made it a weird place for both roller skating (makes you
taller) and music concerts.

I never met anyone who had actually seen it or visited it. So, your post and
the photo actually provide some kind of myth confirmation. Thanks.

It was rumored that George Noory lived there. (He's the guy who took over
Coast to Coast AM from Art Bell).

Take a look at this #4 posted by Anonymous , February 20, 2009 5:47 AM
Perfect for a festivus for the rest of us

Take a look at this #5 posted by Snig , February 20, 2009 5:59 AM
For sale: Secret cave dwelling, can be converted into impregnable fortress
for evil geniuses or secret headquarters for superhero. Spacious quarters for
butler/minions.

Take a look at this #6 posted by Lester , February 20, 2009 6:19 AM
Build a greenhouse and a hydoelectric generator and you're all set for the
apocalypse, zombie, religious or financial.

Plus, the sweet lingering scent of the Nooge will discourage other predators.

Take a look at this #7 posted by SpaceMonkeyX , February 20, 2009 6:20 AM
If you've ever been to Festus, you'd know that this really would be a great,
secluded location from which to run your evil organization hell-bent on world
domination. But be sure you have your own hovercar or something, because
Festus is pretty much the definition of "the sticks." Nice place - don't get
me wrong - but it's definitely off the beaten path.

Take a look at this #8 posted by Crux Mondrian , February 20, 2009 6:21 AM
I think that home was featured on an episode of Extreme Homes a few years ago.

Take a look at this #9 posted by ElDiablo0517 , February 20, 2009 6:26 AM
My friend actually saw the Nuge play there and learned how to roller skate
there.

Take a look at this #10 posted by schilsound , February 20, 2009 6:30 AM
I knew of this property before the homeowners built on it, and it was simply
amazing then.

Now I feel for them- they obviously pride themselves in their creation, and
it shows in the sheer beauty of living closely with nature, albeit in a way
most of us never think to apply that designation.

I hope they find some sort of resolution to their current woes.

Take a look at this #11 posted by Purly , February 20, 2009 6:51 AM
Snig, best response.

This is like my dream home.

Take a look at this #12 posted by Halloween Jack , February 20, 2009 7:01 AM
Wait, there's a town named after the deputy on Gunsmoke? Hey, that's kinda
cool.

Take a look at this #13 posted by bbreader , February 20, 2009 7:06 AM
Why in the world did they build 17,000 sq ft!!

If they had built something sensible they might be able to keep it.

The people to empathize with are those that lost their job and then lost
their "800 square-foot starter home."

Take a look at this #14 posted by nehpetsE , February 20, 2009 7:20 AM
Huge windows, with 2x4 and plywood construction.

Totally NOT zombie proof.

And it would burn like a blast furnace.

(and yet i still lust for it.)

Take a look at this #15 posted by Ugly Canuck , February 20, 2009 7:40 AM
I'm with Hallowe'en Jack on this one.
Festus?

Take a look at this #16 posted by palindrome , February 20, 2009 7:46 AM
Come on Boing Boing! A little vision is required here, but lemme help you
out.

Boing Boing Bed, Breakfast and Conference Center (BBBB+CC or b^4+c^2),
located near friendly Festus, MO. A new Boing Boing enterprise. Corporate
retreats, new economy (anyone still use that catchphrase) conferences,
writer's retreats. Video game competitions. Teledildonics seminars. Web 9.0
V.C. fairs.

Come visit Boing Boing at our new, amazing headquarters. In a cave.

Take a look at this #17 posted by blueelm , February 20, 2009 7:46 AM
I am now homesick. Thanks. I can only dream.

Take a look at this #18 posted by xjn , February 20, 2009 7:47 AM
I used to work for this guy's web company... good man.

They didn't BUILD 17,000 sq ft. Its a CAVE. They built a ~2000 sq ft home
inside a 15,000 sq ft enclosure... get it? simple math.

Take a look at this #19 posted by ill lich , February 20, 2009 7:57 AM
Hmmmm. . . how close is this to the Mississippi River, and what's the spring
flooding like in that area? I can see the dream home becoming a watery death
trap.

Take a look at this #20 posted by arkizzle , February 20, 2009 8:05 AM
Yep, this is another to add to the Evil Villain property list.

Take a look at this #21 posted by BastardNamban , February 20, 2009 8:06 AM
This has been my dream house in my mind for years- building into a rock
cliff, with a cave to boot! Seriously, my daydreams constantly go toward a
house EXACTLY like this.

Too bad I never hit the lottery.

Take a look at this #22 posted by ZoopyFunk , February 20, 2009 8:20 AM
Having lived in St. Louis for twenty years(Festus is just outside STL) I must
say that this was the best kept secret, and sadly, the best thing Festus has
to offer by a light year. Festus is the most redneck, backwards, creepy city
in a state that still has cities without minorities...which is no accident. I
moved to the west coast a few years ago, and the best site of my life was
seeing the Festus water tower in my rear view mirror.

Take a look at this #23 posted by Brainspore , February 20, 2009 8:23 AM
I knew that the economy was bad, but I didn't know it was getting to the
point where even Bruce Wayne had to get rid of his summer home.

Take a look at this #24 posted by Anonymous , February 20, 2009 8:31 AM
I lived in Festus for 20 years, and I'm a minority. I also have never seen or
heard about that house. Weird.

The town got its name from the Bible. They had someone randomly open up the
Bible, and the first word they pointed to was going to be the town name. I
think it's in Acts somewhere.

Take a look at this #25 posted by SignalJammer , February 20, 2009 8:52 AM
Hate to be a gloomy Gus, but I think this is likely to be a disused lead
mine. Probably not a good place for regular habitation.

Take a look at this #26 posted by packerdogz , February 20, 2009 9:04 AM
I use to live in Crystal City which is right across the highway from Festus.
I saw Ted Nugent at caveland. Festus actually was a name picked out of the
bible. The roller rink that use to be there was awesome!!!!

Take a look at this #27 posted by The Lizardman , February 20, 2009 9:09 AM
Just out of reach, damn.

Take a look at this #28 posted by dculberson , February 20, 2009 9:24 AM
You know that warm tickely feeling you sometimes get in your gut when seeing
something really awesome that you would love to experience? Yeah, totally got
that here. Awesome. If there was any way for me to actually move to (and
enjoy) Festus then I'd be seriously interested. Even the price is OK. But I
have a business and life hundreds of miles away - and the industry I'm in is
not portable in the least.

BBReader, they didn't "build" 17k sf, they walled in a cave. A cave that was
already there.

Take a look at this #29 posted by pewma , February 20, 2009 9:36 AM
I used to work for him too. It's a great home build with care and really
great family. I hope it all works out.

Take a look at this #30 posted by alpharob1 , February 20, 2009 9:55 AM
During my "lost years" (early 80s) I hitch-hiked down to Orange Texas. I
spent 8 hours under an overpass in Festus. Couldn't get a ride for nothing.
Two rednecks in a rusty pickup let me ride in the bed. I still remember them
scaring me to death driving wildly and letting me off at the next exit.
Redneck punks. You don't hear about Festus MO in Philly much but whenever
Festus makes the news I still remember bits and pieces of that stinking hot
summer day waiting for a ride and the jerkwads that had their redneck laugh
on my behalf.

Take a look at this #31 posted by jimh , February 20, 2009 10:50 AM
I really hope something works out for this family. This is obviously their
dream home (and would be mine, too) and was built with love and intention.
What a wonderful place.

Take a look at this #32 posted by minTphresh , February 20, 2009 1:46 PM
beautiful dream home! too bad it's in festus. no way, jose. i'm about as far
from there as i could get for good reason. that sucking sound u hear? festus
mo.

Take a look at this #33 posted by AnotherUsername , February 20, 2009 1:49 PM
Am I the only one totally creeped out by this house?

Take a look at this #34 posted by xjn , February 20, 2009 2:11 PM
1. not near the river. never flooded before AFAIK. they do have to run a
dehumidifier 24/7 because they have a natural spring dripping from the
ceiling in the middle of the living room.

2. probably not a mine, it is cut horizontally into the limestone and does
not extend downward at all, plus has lots of headroom (30+ ft in places).
Most likely a natural cave expanded by man for storage of things like road
salt... but admittedly not sure. something to test for.

3. Festus is, in fact, a shithole.

PEWMA == PETE?! DSLabs has a reunion group on Facebook. I just learned of
this last week. 12 members so far...

Take a look at this #35 posted by marissangel , February 20, 2009 2:41 PM
i so want this house
super cool

Take a look at this #36 posted by Hellosluggo , February 20, 2009 2:50 PM
packerdogz might like this... a great, long-winded forum post about concerts
at Caveland Roller Rink back in the day: http://tinyurl.com/c95396

Take a look at this #37 posted by FreakCitySF , February 20, 2009 4:20 PM
This will go great with my batmobile.

and X-Jet.

No really I wish i had the funds for this.

Take a look at this #38 posted by Anonymous , February 20, 2009 9:03 PM
I am so in love with your house . My daughter wishes she could send you money
to raise for your balloon note. You will find help where you least expect.May
the Universe open wide for you.

Take a look at this #39 posted by Anonymous , February 20, 2009 9:47 PM
This house lokks like the perfect scene for one of Hollywood's new horror
movie!!!! :)

Take a look at this #40 posted by lrowe , February 20, 2009 10:04 PM
hey what about selling bed and breakfast at your cozy cave?

Take a look at this #41 posted by lrowe , February 20, 2009 10:09 PM
Bed and Breakfast in the Cozy Cave should bring in some cool cash

Take a look at this #42 posted by Takuan , February 20, 2009 10:24 PM
google "Festus" and get this for the first and only descriptive line:
"General information about the police department and listing of sex
offenders."at

Looks like a great indoor grow-op setting. You'd need a generator though.

Take a look at this #43 posted by Axx , February 20, 2009 11:01 PM
I don't know why I am sadder: because I can't buy it, or because they are
losing it.

Post a comment
Login or create an account to comment on this entry.
You can also comment anonymously below:

Warning: Anonymous messages are held for moderation. This could take a (long)
while. Or your comment may not be posted at all. Please consider creating an
account and logging in. It's fast, free, and we don't spam, ever.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/20/cave-house-for-sale.html

  • [Homestead] Cave house- Festus, MO -- reader's comments, bobf, 02/21/2009