homestead - [Homestead] it's planting time :-)

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] it's planting time :-)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:31:14 -0800 (PST)

Update on the cold frame, plugged up the small gaps between the boards and
weather strips on the windows.  NOW it is staying warm.

Sewed 1/2 of the first bunch of seeds for the cold frame today.  Used Bev's
TP roll tip :-)
Will finish up the rest tomorrow, as the temps are cooling down now, and I
don't want to let the warm air escape.

It actually snowed for 4 hours here early last week, real snow, big flakes.
It was fun to watch as it has been many year since I saw it snowing like
that.  Of course once the snow cloud moved east to slam everyone else, the
snow melted in about 15 mins.

Garlic started last November is coming up well, even with the overnight
freezes (about 3-4 hours)  Put the some onion sets out also, to see how they
do this early.  There's about 40 acres of onions down the road, planted last
Nov, the overnight freezes haven't bothered them at all, which is amazing.
That onion field is the only thing green around here.

Farmers in the area are busy planting.  Fields have been plowed, and furrows
made, and I saw a few have started the flooding type irrigation.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I actually get something to grow all the way
to harvest.

Hope all are well !

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell