homestead - Re: [Homestead] Drought in Texas

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Drought in Texas
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:45:32 -0600

Beeville is about four hours east of me, but my area doesn't look too much better. Even with drip irrigation everything in the garden is stunted. With the winds and as dry as it is we're under high fire alert. The river is still running, but it's very low and our well has sucked air a couple times this week.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas Dry as a Bone

bobf wrote:
To say Texas is big is an understatement. I don't know how far Beeville is
from Sage or any other Texan we might have on the list, but I thought the
article might be interesting to some. There is a slideshoe and a good photo
of an older Texas cowboy/farmer at the link.

Beeville Journal

Texas Ranchers and Farmers Struggle in Drought
Michael Stravato for The New York Times

Austin Brown II, 65, on his ranch in Beeville, Tex. Much of the state has not had a significant rainfall since August. More Photos >

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: February 11, 2009 BEEVILLE, Tex. — Austin Brown II kicked the sandy dirt near a feedlot with his spurred boot and surveyed the land his family has ranched for three generations.

Drought at the Brown Ranch Most years the first green shoots of spring and
pink bursts of paintbrush flowers would be rising from the soil by now.
Nothing meets his eye but brown grass, dried up oaks and dust billowing in
the wind.

“You can see how the sand is just drifting,” said Mr. Brown, 65, digging his
toe into the dust piled up at his feet. “This normally would be grass.”

The worst drought in nearly 100 years is racking three-quarters of Texas. Much of the state has not had a significant rainfall since August. Winter wheat crops have failed. Ponds have dried up. Ranchers are spending heavily on hay and feed pellets to get their cattle through the winter. Some wonder if they will have to slaughter their herds come summer. Farmers say the soil is too dry for seeds to germinate and are considering not planting.
“The last time we had a drought this bad was in January 1918,” said John
Nielsen-Gammon, the state climatologist. “The droughts in the 1950s in individual
years were not as bad as this.” Mr. Nielsen-Gammon, a professor at Texas A&M,
said the weather had been unusually dry for the last year and a half, but since
August, much of the central part of the state — a broad swath from just south of
Dallas, through Austin and San Antonio and down to Corpus Christi — had gotten
little or no rain. Even last year’s hurricanes, Dolly and Ike, did not help, he
said.

Though about a half-inch of rain fell in Austin and Dallas this week, it was
not enough to offset the 20-inch deficit in rainfall over the last 18 months,
he said.

A weather pattern over the Pacific known as La Niña has pushed the jet stream
north, keeping the normal fall and winter rains away, meteorologists say. In
the last three months, only about a quarter of the usual rain and snow has
fallen across the state.

“We are dry from the Rio Grande Valley through the High Plains — there is no
subsoil moisture,” said Travis Miller, head of soil and crop sciences at the
Texas AgriLife Extension Program. “I really don’t think anybody’s going to
plant until we get significant moisture.”

The time for planting corn and sorghum is passing fast. In central Texas, farmers plant corn from mid-February to late March, hoping to harvest it before the intense summer heat in August. Sorghum is planted a bit later, in late April. The last option is cotton, which can be planted as late as May.
Archie Abrameit, the manager of the Stiles Farm Foundation, a state-owned farm of 2,900 acres near Thrall, said the parched soil thwarted the winter wheat from coming up. Farmers have no hope that the spring crops will do better, since not even wild plants are sprouting.
“We make the joke we can’t even grow weeds this winter,” Mr. Abrameit said.

As a result, farmers have found themselves playing a guessing game. Does one
plant corn now and hope for rain, or wait for rain, hoping it comes in time
to plant sorghum? Or wait still later and plant cotton, which can be grown
until later in the summer? Some admit privately that they will plant knowing
the crop will fail in hopes of collecting insurance. Others say they may not
plant at all.

“The clock is ticking as far as coming up to planting time,” said Terrell
Hamann, who farms 1,800 acres near Taylor, just northeast of Austin. “I
change my mind about three times a day about what to do.”

Complicating the calculus for farmers and ranchers, prices for grain and beef have dropped, as people across the country have cut their spending in the economic crisis.
At the Brown Ranch in Beeville, about 85 miles southeast of San Antonio, the family is bracing for what could be a terrible year. So far, Mr. Brown and his son, Austin Brown III, have kept their 2,000 head of Angus, Hereford and Akaushi cattle watered by pumping well water into troughs, at great cost in electric bills. They have also dipped into the ranch’s savings to buy hundreds of bales of hay and hundreds of pounds cottonseed “cake,” dense protein-rich pellets, to feed the animals.
As the younger Mr. Brown spread the cottonseed cake on the ground on a recent
afternoon, a hungry mob of Hereford cows chased after his truck, jostling and
bumping one another. The ground was devoid of green life as far as the eye
could see. The cows and their calves had devoured a towering roll of hay left
for them but could find nothing to forage.

“When the grass is real green and lush and they have a lot to eat, they won’t
hardly come to you,” the younger Mr. Brown said.

A point comes when the cost of feeding the cattle in a drought becomes so
high it makes no sense to continue, the elder Mr. Brown said. Then all or
part of the main herd of reproductive cows and bulls must be slaughtered. It
is a prospect every rancher fears, for that core herd is what produces a
yearly bounty of calves to be raised and fattened for the market.

“We are going to try to keep these cattle going into June,” the elder Mr. Brown said, “and if we don’t get any rain by June, then it’s all over and we will have to send them to

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/us/12drought.html