homestead - [Homestead] Seed starting

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Seed starting
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:10:15 -0500

I started my onion seeds and some herbs in trays in the house. It
feels really good to get my hands in the soil even if it is in a tray.
I'll start some cabbages and broccoli in the next week or so. Garden
season coming into view.

I planted "Candy" hybrid onion seeds. I've grown them for 3 years,
great results. Also, I got some Ailsa Craig onion seed. It's OP, so
I'm hoping it will do OK here and I can save seeds. I'm just north of
the "line" for long day onions, so not sure how it will do.

I have to try something different every year, this year it is Chayote.
A Central American squash, sort of. They are good boiled in soups and
what not, but definitely a tender tropical. I started a couple from
the store in pots and they are up a foot of so in sticks. I just want
to get some good roots going to see if they will fruit for me. If not,
I'm planting them on a trellis and they can make me some shade. I used
to grow them in Florida no problem. I tried another year, but left the
pots out on a frosty night.

Rob - Va