homestead - [Homestead] 'nother asparagus question--pest control

  • From: Rebecca in the Great Northwest <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] 'nother asparagus question--pest control
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:18:12 -0800

anybody here got a good method for dealing with asparagus beetles?

Our first cutting is usually bug-free, but later cuttings are rife with
beetles. The bugs hide in the tips and under the scales, so a good soak in
salt water doesn't always flush them out--and I can tell you from experience
the beetles don't taste all that nice. We gave up on asparagus a few years
ago, but the spouse is making a new bed this year with the surviving plants
plus new stock.

A family member suggested making a nicotine tea out of scavenged cigarette
butts and spraying the plants and soil with that, something we may try on
this new bed. I would love to know about other methods for control...

back to my seed catalogs!

-Rebecca in western Washington state

Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_022009