homestead - [Homestead] Yeah!! (a bragging post)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Yeah!! (a bragging post)
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:37:06 -0500

My kid just called..he will be headed out soon and will be gone for a
while.. :( This was the first call since he left home after Christmas,
so it was great to hear from him. He had some good news, too. He just
received the Navy Achievement Medal (NAM). I may have mentioned that
his crew broke the Pearl Harbor record for getting their sub in and out
of shipyard last year....his NAM had to do with that task and his
performance during shipyard operations.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/navawards/blnavymarineachievement.htm
http://www.homeofheroes.com/medals/pages_wh/18n_nam.html

It's not as sexy as saving a life or anything, but it will certainly
help him in the world outside of the USN. One more ribbon and he will
have 4 rows of chest candy. He should get something mid summer...can't
say what for now.. two of his ribbons you could say were even homestead
related..he qualified expert on rifle and pistol. :)

But speaking of leadership and saving a life, he kind of did that,
too...well not exactly saved a life, but...he was heading out of his
house to go to work and saw a 7 year old neighbor kid get hit by a car
and fly 20 feet through the air..the official first responder wanted to
move the kid out of the road, but my kid said no way, so they argued
about it a bit until the other guy relinquished command of the
scene...lol..and then my son stood there, directing traffic until the
ambulance came. The little boy spent some time in the hospital, but he
is fine now.

I relate that because it goes to show that my son really is a mature 21
year old and now takes control of situations. There was a time when he
was so passive, so shy. Now, he leads.

Bev, PNM of TJ, former homeschooled kid and Eagle Scout, future Nuclear
Engineer

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge