homestead - Re: [Homestead] Weather was Political Qualifications?

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Weather was Political Qualifications?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:46:36 -0500

Lynn wrote:

Hauling wood, shoveling snow, stoking the
stove, opening and closing the window quilts...the rhythm of life. Part of
the changing seasons. Some seasons last a little too long, but I love them
all.

A few years back on Prairie Home Companion Louis Jenkins recited some of his
prose poems about winter. Here's the link to hear them (they're great).

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2005/01/08/index.shtml

I've transcribed two bits of my favorite below, (without permission and
without knowledge the poem's proper form). It's called "Some things to
think about"

How cold is it? Will you need to wear your long johns, or will the heavy
wool pants over your blue jeans be enough? Which socks, which boots, which
jacket? Scarf? Do you need the choppers with the wool liners, or just
gloves? How fast will you be moving? If you are skiing or, god forbid ,
going to the mall, will you be too warm?

Will the car start ? Do you have blankets, fire extinguisher, flares, window
scraper, extra gasoline, gas line antifreeze, starting fluid, lock de-icer,
windshield washer fluid, a shovel, fresh water? Flash light, matches candy
bars? Do you have enough Kleenex? Ask yourself what you have forgotten. Do
not ask yourself why or how. Remember to take your keys out of your pocket
before you put on your gloves.

Cathy