homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do Not Call list for cell phones

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do Not Call list for cell phones
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:31:46 -0800 (PST)

That is another 'urban myth' Gene. Check out Snopes, or read the article
below..........

" Published September 17, 2008 09:54 am - It never fails. You’re in the
middle of a rare moment with the family at the dinner table and a
telemarketer calls, derailing the meaningful conversation you were having
with your 9-year-old.

'Do Not Call' available for cell phones

By TEDDYE SNELL

TAHLEQUAH DAILY PRESS —
It never fails. You’re in the middle of a rare moment with the family at the
dinner table and a telemarketer calls, derailing the meaningful conversation
you were having with your 9-year-old.

As an answer to this, the Federal Trade Commission created the “Do Not Call”
registry, which now boasts over 139 million phone numbers.

But have you ever been contacted via your cell phone by a telemarketer? After
all, part of the appeal of having a cell phone is the number is unpublished.

The Daily Press was contacted by a reader who had heard cell phone numbers
were going to be made public, as early as this week – which would allow
telemarketers access to previously unpublished numbers.

However, following visits to the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site and
Snopes.com, a site that debunks hoaxes and rumors, nothing could be further
from the truth.

The FTC updated its site at the beginning of September, and reminds consumers
that cell phone numbers are not public.

“As the number of phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry has
surpassed 139 million, the Federal Trade Commission today reiterated that
despite the claims made in e-mails circulating on the Internet, consumers
should not be concerned that their cell phone numbers will be released to
telemarketers at any time in the near future,” states a press release on the
site. “In addition, according to the agency, it is not necessary to register
cell phone numbers on the DNC Registry to be protected from most
telemarketing calls to cell phones.”

Telemarketers are tricky outfits, and they obtain numbers – for all kinds of
phones – via avenues some people would never suspect.

Darryl Maggard, Cherokee County 911 supervisor, has first-hand experience
with cell phone telemarketing.

“Actually, my mother signed a receipt to give feedback one time,” said
Maggard. “After that, she’d get telemarketing calls on her cell phone all the
time. I went online and registered mine for the Do Not Call list.”

Many people have foregone a “land line” phone, and communicate strictly via
cell phone – like Dr. John Yeutter, associate professor of accounting at
Northeastern State University.

“I have registered [my cell number] on both the Oklahoma attorney general and
federal Do Not Call list,” he said. “I have receive telemarketing calls on my
phone, from someone who acquired my number from a professional certification
or membership list, and who believed that the number they were calling was a
commercial line. I made a complaint report on both the federal and Oklahoma
Web site.”

The DNC Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines;
however, those interested in registering must call from the phone number to
be registered. Those who choose to register online must respond to a
confirmation e-mail.

The telecommunications industry has discussed the possibility of creating a
wireless 411 directory, according to the FCC, but the FTC states even if a
directly is established, most telemarketing calls to cell phones would still
be illegal.

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/local/local_story_261095424.html