homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil/Water Contamination (was Homesteading on the beach?)

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil/Water Contamination (was Homesteading on the beach?)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:49:05 EST

Bev - double-thanks for the reminder.

I get so caught up in the your-water-my-water thing sometimes that I forget
San Bernardino County has long been known as the meth capital of the Western
World, and the Sheriff's Department (God Bless 'em - there are only three of
them assigned to the whole area between Barstow and Stateline and Needles)
does their best to bust these labs, but they turn out the contents right out
into the sand, and it goes you-know-where.

These facilities are mostly housed in abandoned / vandalized shells of
cabins, mobile homes, etc. that are long forgotten by their owners. Or the
owners
have died and their offspring - somewhere in Chicago - just pay the
property
taxes year after year and to hell with wherever-is-Newberry-Springs?

This is aside from - and in addition to - whatever is being dumped by the
meth-heads themselves, and added to all the cr*p being filtered downward by
the
Marine Logistics Base couple miles down the road. An ongoing bone of
contention. It really saddens me to drive by the base and know that
individual
solders / Marines would never do this to the land, but the hierarchy
dictates, so
forward we must go. These guys all have kids, and moms and dads, and if they
knew this toxic junk was going down in their own neighborhoods, we'd have
another kind of war on our hands.

There was even a semi-load of chlorine that did a belly-up east of here a
few years ago, and nobody got around to telling us until the chemical(s) had
worked their way coupla hundred feet down.

I am kind of...in charge of...welcoming newcomers to the area - and I do
seriously believe that a water-testing kit ought to be included in our
community
'welcome packet'. If I were moving a family here, especially small children,
I'd be really upset later on to find out later that the elementary school
had
been evacuated twice in the last few years, and the children are now being
asked to bring bottled water from home, since the school drinking fountains
are not safe.

At the present time, there's only - to my knowledge - one qualified,
certified Master Plumber in the area - and he does only water - not soil
analysis...and, to me, the two must needs go hand in hand?

Bring on the piggies. Nothing on four legs ever wrote me a bad check or
brought my truck back on 'Empty".

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 1/7/2009 9:02:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,