homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cookstove

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cookstove
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:33:34 -0800

Rob in VA writes:

> I'm going to get it. My friend is taking my truck to DC late on Saturday
and will pick it up on Sun. I've only seen pictures, but lots of closeups of
vital areas. He'll do a final look over and load it up.

Congratulations!

I suggest that you look for Jay Shelton's "Solid Fuels Encyclopedia." You
can find used copies on Amazon or Abebooks. It is primarily directed to
people heating with wood or coal, but the explanation of how solid fuels
burn, not to mention how a chimney works (or doesn't) makes the book well
worth the price.

As far as flues go, I have a 60-gallon propane scalder for my chickens. I
put it in with a double-wall stainless steel flue, and it has worked very
well. I recommend buying the best materials you can -- some cheapskate put
in our woodstove's stainless steel chimney liner with non-stainless screws,
and it has made cleaning a little tricky.

Karen Black
Norton Creek Farm
Blodgett, OR

  • Re: [Homestead] Cookstove, Karen L. Black, 12/24/2008