homestead - [Homestead] sadama - slavic stuffed cabbage rolls w/o tomato sauce

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] sadama - slavic stuffed cabbage rolls w/o tomato sauce
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:11:22 -0800 (PST)

My wife is making her traditional holiday treat. It is a pot of stuffed
cabbage rolls with sauerkrauet rather than tomato sauce. She grinds top
sirloin with hickory smaoked bacon for the meat. That is mixed with rice and
minced onion to go in the cabbage leaves. She freezes the whole cabbages,
rather than boiling them to make the leaves soft in which to roll the meat
and stuff. Saurekrat is placed bewteen each layer and kind of ladded in
around the individual cabbage rolls.

. My MIL made them until she died. They are different than I have had
ellsewhere. My Wife, others side of the family is Slavic, this is one of
their recipes; they call it sadama (sp?). Some other East Eurppeams make a
similar dish called Sarma. Neither uses tomato sauce. This pot of cabbage
rolls will last the two of us through the first.

Usually, some mexican lady will have come by to sell us tamales. That is the
Phoenix traditional Christmas snack. So far, none have come by. Between now
and the first, we will go to a Mexican restauarant and pick up a couple of
dozen if no mexican ladies come by with any to sell.

Oh, and my wife took a 2 foot christmas tree with built in lights out of a
box and set it up at the end of the den. Ho-Ho-Ho. No presents, but, the
dog and the cat have each had fun knocking over her tree.

I have yet to hear a Christmas song this year. Maybe I will watch a few
minutes of the Lawrence Welk show if it comes on tonight. Ho-Ho-Ho.