homestead - Re: [Homestead] carolina gold rice

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] carolina gold rice
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:32:30 -0500

No. There are dryland types and wetland types-- rice is technically
semi-aquatic, but it will grow dry. It is considered semi-aquatic
because it tolerates the flooding, which is a method of weed control.
Fields are flooded to 4-6 inches deep. Too deep of water affects
tillering, or so I've read.
The low tech paddies that you think of like in China or Vietnam are
really ingenious, IMO. There is a mucky, silt layer that the plant is
transplanted into, but under that, there is a hardpan that holds the
water, much in the way the old timers here sealed ponds with animal
crap..I'd imagine the same was done with water buffalo, which also
creates fertility.
In Europe, specifically along the French/Italian border, rice is grown
on mountainsides, dry.
I think rice would do well in your little bog...lots of rice is grown in Arkansas..

Bev, who notices that roxann's email also appears with homestead upon hitting Reply.

roxann wrote:
Bev,

Does rice have to be grown in flooded fields? I'd like to try growing
some, but the only flat wet spot I have that stays wet is a bog. The
roots would be cold there, but wet, and I don't know anything about
growing rice.

Roxann, NW AR http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men