homestead - Re: [Homestead] moving big stuff, and Magnolia

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] moving big stuff, and Magnolia
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:20:40 -0700

Maggie is the tractor, right?

Tut, tut! Magnolia is no mere tractor. She is six tons of big muscle that digs, lifts, moves, carries and pulls heavy and bulky material with aplomb. She dug out a hillside to create a flat place for the pole barn shop built this last summer--one of Don's friends calculated some serious yardage of material moved. She extracted and set aside numerous stones for future projects. She is building a dam that will create a trout pond and make a ram pump feasible as well as being an all-weather passage over the stream. She digs out large trees and then pulls them to a place for further work. She has dug well over a thousand feet of ditch and is destined for more. She will dig future cellars, basements, and a tunnel under the house. With chain or cable she reaches far into woods and extracts large trees for building projects. She creates fruit-planting holes quickly in the worst rocky soil and then brings better material for backfilling. She scratch-digs garden beds in few minutes. And she occasionally interrupts her travel and turns compost piles for fun, lifting the good stuff high and letting it tumble down. Tractor indeed! Harrumph!

Thanks for describing it to me. So, basically, he walks stuff around
just the same way we would walk a refrigerator or sofa around, right?

Nope. We move those things by lifting with our muscles and by using dollies with wheels. He does not use his muscles to lift, nor does he use wheels.