homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butchering poultry (was: Eggs)

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butchering poultry (was: Eggs)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:41:53 -0800

At 12/14/2008 07:27 PM,Karen L. Black wrote:
Lisa writes:

> I have a friend who has poultry for the first time and wants to eat
> their own meat but doesn't want to butcher their hens themselves. She
> proposes taking their birds to a farm up the road who will do it if
> they 'assist', so we may begin that way.

This is how I got started with butchering chickens. I helped a couple in
town who had facilities to get familiar with the operation. Then I raised 25
as a "pilot lot" and took them to their place and butchered them. Then I got
the tools I needed and did them in my backyard. After a few years of this, I
splurged and built an addition to the shed. Now I have a clean area with
adequate water and power and away from the critters and yellowjackets. (You
probably won't need to go to such lengths, but I butcher twice a week for 32
weeks.)

Karen Black

Hi Karen,
How many do you do a time and do you use a powered plucker?

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA