homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits. I think I'll just stick to cornbread.

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits. I think I'll just stick to cornbread.
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 02:42:20 -0500

If there is someone out there that makes biscuits everyday, I would like
you to try to quantify this 'working the biscuit dough' thing. If you
would, when you pour in the milk, when your fork hits that flour, start
counting, one one thousand.....If you would, for me, count the seconds
you stir, the time you take pressing or rolling it out, cutting the
biscuits, etc.

Also, I have one other question that no one has mentioned. Do you
always sift the flour and soda, etc., or do you never sift it and what
has your experience been with sifting. Does sifting the flour reduce
the 'working' time? Does it make a fluffier biscuit?

Beb

Lynda wrote:
Granny had other things besides refridgeration to keep things cold.
Plus, Granny had better ingredients. Well, unless Granny isn't all
that old <g> She'd have had *real* lard, *real* milk/buttermilk and
so forth and so on. I've also noticed that most of us "younger"
generation seem to overwork biscuits. Well, except for James, of
course <g> Overworked biscuits are a deadly sin!

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "kristopher p bacon"
<kristopherpbacon AT live.com> To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org> Sent:
Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:42 PM Subject: [Homestead] wooden bowls
for biscuits. I think I'll just stick to cornbread.

"The second is to keep all the ingredients COLD until the biscuits
go into the oven."

"Biscuits want COLD."

"Cold, cold cold...thanks"Taking this theory to it's logical
extreme, my biscuits should be lighter and flakier than my
Granny's, who never had refrigeration. Experimentation has
disproven the theory:(

Kris P. _________________________________________________________________ Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_access_112008