homestead - [Homestead] Non-flushing - dry- toilet system

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Non-flushing - dry- toilet system
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:11:33 -0800 (PST)

A few years ago, a book called "Humanure" was published. I bought a copy
after it was widely discussed on this list. The most interesting thing wass
the fact, that i learned from the book, that so much of our clean, drinkable
water goes to flushing toilets.

This is an uncomfortable subject for me, and maybe some others, to discuss.
But, I really believe a shortage of clean drinkable water could be in our
future, regardless of how plentiful it now appears. This article is
discussing the possible engineering of a different type of non water-wasting
system .........................bobford

News.com.au Top stories
search News

News

Experts call for end of flushing toilets on World Toilet Day

By Ian Rakowski
NEWS.com.au
November 19, 2008 12:01am

AS the world celebrates World Toilet Day today, sanitation experts have
called for the end of the flushing dunny to save water and provide fertilizer
for crops.

Leading health advocates have called for the use of "dry" toilets which
separate urine from faeces and remove the need to flush.

Speaking at the recent World Toilet Summit in Macau, World Toilet
Organisation founder Jack Sims said the concept of the flushing toilet was
unsustainable.

Mr Sims said a culture where people flushed their loos but disregarded the
thousands of litres of wasted drinking water each year was one of
sanitation's greatest challenges.

"This 'flush and forget' attitude creates a new problem which we have to
revisit," he said.

New toilet tax proposed

There have already been calls by Australian experts to reduce the amount of
water wasted through toilet flushing with a proposed new toilet tax.

(Read More)

Steve of Perth Adelaide University's Water Management Professor Mike Young
said the tax would encourage people to take shorter showers, recycle washing
machine water or connect rainwater tanks to internal plumbing.

"Some people may go as far as not flushing their toilet as often, as the less
sewage you produce the less the rate you pay," Professor Young said.

Top of the range

If you aren’t flushed with enthusiasm by a third-world toilet, Time magazine
recently revealed the world's most expensive toilet.

The sophisticated lavatory from Japanese manufacturer Toto features a
self-raising or closing toilet lid, a seat-warmer and ambient music to make
relieving yourself as pleasant as possible.

Several of these features are already the mainstay of upper-class Japanese
restaurants, while some of the top range models can even check blood
pressure, urine protein, weight and body fat.

Now if only people could figure out how to use it:

Toilet facts:

The average person spends three years of their life on the “john”.

The average person flushes a toilet about 2500 times a year, while using
about eight sheets of toilet paper per day.

An estimated 2.6 billion people worldwide do not have access to proper toilet
facilities, particularly in rural areas of China and India.
Lack of suitable toilets and sanitation kills approximately 1.8 million
people a year, many of them children.

According to Jack Sims, a further 500 million toilets are needed to bridge
the gap in sanitation.

The first flushing toilet was invented in 1596 by Sir John Harrington, a
British noble and godson to Queen Elizabeth I. He only invented one, as he
was ridiculed by his peers, but he still used it for himself.
Most toilets flush in the key of E flat.

On average, a person will use 22 litres of drinkable water every day flushing
a toilet.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html