homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:10:00 EST

> >Before we lived in PA, we lived in VA in a small town in Giles County.
> Without fail, upon meeting anyone in that small town, the question we got
> was "where do you go to church?". They asked it before "where do you live"
> and "what do you do".

Yes, that's the protocol. But it is not what newcomers think it is. Before
someone would flirt with you or ask you for a date, they would first try to
determine, directly or indicrectly, whether you were married or committed.
For
most places still I think it is considered presuptuous and rude to put the
move on someone on the outside chance that they are unattached.

Very much like that, they are not being nosey or trying to make you fess up
to being righteous or not. Rather it is the custom to invite any unattached
person to your church. So to answer you question, the fact that you don't go
church anywhere is precisely what they are trying to find out. But it is the
height and depth of rudenss to ask, "Do you go to church anywhere?" So
instead the question is softened and asked indirectly, "Where do you go to
church?"

This is your opportunity to say "First Antioch Baptist of the Brethern".
Then the matter is closed. It would be impolite to invite you to their
church
if you already have a church just as it would be impolite to ask you for a
date
if you were already married.

But if the answer is "nowhere", then it is not only polite, it is obligatory
to invite you to church. Anything else would be an affront.

James