homestead - Re: [Homestead] Turkeys (was: B*g Br*ther)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Turkeys (was: B*g Br*ther)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:07:41 EST

> >When
> young, they are more prone to hypothermia and need to be taken care of. Once
> they are about 8 weeks old, they are quite hardy and capable. But not
> predator-proof -- no livestock is.

One year this place was stinking with turkeys, there were at least a dozen
flocks and each flock had more than 25 birds, many more than double that.
You
could tell one flock from another by the number of albino turkeys,

The local wildlife agent said that due to the fact there had been almost no
heavy rainfall in April of that year, none of the keets had drowned and so
the
population had exploded.

Apparently it's nature's way of keeping the numbers in bounds. The wild
turkeys are good at hatching out twenty or more eggs and depend on the rains
weed out the keets.

Don't encourage me or I'll tell you how I got five (5, count 'em) turkeys
with one shot that year.

James