homestead - Re: [Homestead] reverse mortgages

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] reverse mortgages
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:44:34 -0500

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I know Lisa and others have mortgage experience. I keep seeing those
> ads for a reverse mortgage. How exactly does that work and what is the
> downside? Bank gets the property when you die, right?

You have to be minimum age 62. This was a niche market that I thought about
becoming an expert on had I stayed in the business, but I did not. Maybe
down the road I'll get back in it and only do reverse mortgages, who knows.

Found a couple sites to answer your questions, but if you're thinking for
you in particular, you and Ron are too young.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/homes/rea13.shtm

*Who can get one?*

-

You must own your home, and generally all of the owners must be at least
62 years old.

-