homestead - Re: [Homestead] 'Democratic discuss confiscating 401(k)s, IRAs'

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 'Democratic discuss confiscating 401(k)s, IRAs'
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:32:54 -0500

First, a caveat--I'm in over my head in discussing this. I did hear
something about it earlier this week, though, and I understood the
motivation to be more from the future revenue from what would amount to a 5%
increase in SS tax. It would be, at least at first, voluntarily entered
into because of the sweetener of "crediting" your SS with the August 08
value of your 401k. Participants would then contribute 5% or so of their
future income to this enhanced SS account. For doing this, participants
would receive a $600 tax credit and a guaranteed 3% earnings. I don't know
what would become of the stocks themselves--US government as shareholder?
We all know what happens to $$ contributed to SS.

Cathy