homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vote the incumbent out

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vote the incumbent out
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:49:36 EST

> >I have long struggled with that last part. Even if ascribing the very
> highest moral and ethical condition, it is a judgement call.

I don't intend for this to sound as argumentative as it is going to, Gene. I
really do understand your point. Here in Kingsport Tennessee, as deep red
Republican as you can get, the people have been represented by a black
Democrat
state rep for several terms. This election they voted him out by 300 votes
in
favor of a good ol boy. I didn't like the Democrat's voting record and so I
took your advice and voted against him.

However, we voted in another state rep and a state senator who are as
moss-laden incumbent as they come. This term the one will be speaker of the
house
and the other the lieutenant governor. That is, both those influential posts
will be from my own county held by people I know personally rather than from
Shelby Co. (Memphis, Beale St.) as they have been for too long.

So I am saying that I do understand that you don't mean it to be mechanical.

But your proviso still strikes me like the electronics bench man who said he
could narrow down any problem to two things within five minutes. Yes, sir.
It's either the fuse or it's something else.

James

  • Re: [Homestead] Vote the incumbent out, Clansgian, 11/06/2008