homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fusion voting and voting today

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fusion voting and voting today
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:54:48 -0500

Our state representative runs as both Democrat and Republican. As long as
I've lived here (12 years) he's run on both tickets and unopposed. Needless
to say, he always wins. I like him; I don't know if he does any good in
Harrisburg, but he's very accessible and shows up at every event in the
county.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:33:33 -0600> From: mmcharry AT gmail.com>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org> Subject: [Homestead] Fusion voting and
voting today> > We've had numerous discussions about third parties on this
list.> Instant runoff voting is not likely to happen in our lifetimes --
what> politician would support it? -- but fusion voting might be an opening.>
In fusion voting, one candidate can run on several party tickets. New> York
is using it to elect more progressive candidates. You can read> more about it
here:>
http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/elections/fusion-the-secret-weapon/.> > I
voted at 9 today. The polls were quiet even though 3 precincts vote> there.
OTOH, fewer than 500 people are registered in those precincts,> the polls
opened at 6 and don't close until 7, and harvest is still in> full swing. The
judges assured me that they'd had steady business. I> was the 124th person to
vote. Only 10 people had voted early.> > We vote on paper that is pushed into
a machine and counted. It was a> short ballot, and only one ballot initiative
(a call for a new> constitutional convention, which I voted against).> >