homestead - Re: [Homestead] warrantless searches okay - Texas - border -email- blackberries-phone.

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] warrantless searches okay - Texas - border -email- blackberries-phone.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

Roy , I read the first paragraph of the site to which you linked. I know no
technical jargon, so beyond that would be above my understanding.

In the original article, it said they could search your electronic device
to make sure you didn't have a weapon (like opening a bag or a briefacse).
To me, that is totally differnt than going through someone's emails.

I don't use any of those gadgets; this computer is as far as I go with
technical stuff. But if you opened a briefacse and saw a notebook, you
wouldn't (as law enforcement) read the notebook. Your search should be done
when you have ascertained there is no weapon.

There are certain types of horrid criminals we would all like to see caught
and jailed ( or executed, to my belief). But, that shouldn't be the reason
for every citizen losing personal privacy and liberties.

I should, if I'm unarmed and not a danger, be able to go through a
checkpoint without a curious law enforcement person reading my journal
......bobford