homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disposable "nappies" greener than cloth

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disposable "nappies" greener than cloth
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 05:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> > To reduce the impact of cloth nappies on climate
> change parents would have
> > to hang wet nappies out to dry all year round, keep
> them for years for use
> > on younger children, and make sure the water in their
> washing machines does
> > not exceed 60C.

One question I wished I had ask grandmothers. How did they wash diapers
before washing machines. My guess is that wet diapers were rinsed and hung
up to dry and then reused. I'm sure that the washing they gave by hand would
not have met our current standards.

Our choice was to use cloth diapers at home but disposables away. When our
oldest son was born Penny's had an isle of cloth diapers with one shelf for
disposables. 3 years later when second was born the proportions had
reversed. A rather quick change.

Back then disposable diapers were still fastened with safety pins. My wife
got the bright idea of carrying a roll of drafting tape to fasten them
together. If we had thought about patenting that idea we might have gotten a
lot of royalties... sigh...

Van Dell