homestead - [Homestead] Health Generalizations, Part I

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Health Generalizations, Part I
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:23:42 -0400

The surveys were very interesting... thanks again to all who responded.
Allow me to tell you how this came about.
It all started with a conversation with my daughter. She
was reading _Eat Right for Your Blood Type_, by Peter D'Adamo, who is a
Naturopathic Doctor. I vaguely recall hearing about this a decade or so
ago, but never investigated it. It was a typical conversation that
should have been here and gone, but three days later, I was still
thinking about it.

I've never been a big dieter. Back in college, I did lose a good bit of
weight-about 80 pounds from 200 down to 120# on basically a high protein
low carb diet and jogging/running. I had tried a few other diets,
including caloric restriction, but it had not worked for me, even with
exercise. When I started the high protein diet, the weight dropped
quickly. That was a long time ago and like I say, I know I am
overweight now and while I do care, I don't care enough to go on
some bizarre diet. I'm post menopausal and I have RA, so I can't get out
and run for 10 miles like I used to. My goal for 2008 was to start
getting healthy. In January I quit smoking, and in June I started
cardio exercise(biking) I'm 5'11, and in January when I quit smoking, I
weighed 210#. By March, I weighed 230#, the highest of my life. By
contrast, I only weighed 164# on the day my second kid was born. I
think the maximum I am supposed to weigh is about 170 pounds. I started
working the stairs faster, walking more, and doing other things to
include some lifting at work. The day we got the bikes in June, I was
back down to 210#. Today, I weigh 195#, mostly because I gave up
drinking Coke in July. I used to drink one or two Cokes a day, now, I
drink less than 1 a week.
Since I quit smoking, I started drinking water, and this summer, I have
really poured it in. Most recently, I have started drinking iced green
tea-unsweetened, with a bit of lemon or lime. That's the only dietary
change I have made this year. I'm on a plateau now, but I fully intend
to weigh 170 or less by next summer. Limited Coke, lots of water, lots
of tea, one less spoon of sugar in my morning coffee(I really am a two
sugar kind of girl- so this really hurts, especially on that first cup!)
and that is really all I intend to do. Small changes, and we will see
where that takes me over time.
Back to diet....
I've noticed over the years that I do love protein. I don't have much
of sweet tooth, so I am lucky that way, but I do enjoy carbs, especially
a good loaf of bread or pasta with garlic butter. Most days, I find
myself snacking in between meals, so I am trying to turn the snack into
a meal of its own. A typical snack/meal for me might be two slices of
salami with 2 slices of provolone and some saltine
crackers....mmmm...or maybe sardines or smoked mussels. I have been
known to just eat boiled eggs as a meal or snack unto itself, and if
there is bacon nearby, it won't be nearby for long. I'll pass up the
chocolate, the whipped cream, the candy, pastries, cookies, cakes, and
pies for smoked fish. I love the roe, too. I crave it. So, if there
is one thing I know about myself is that I love protein, meats and eggs
and such...and past experience has shown me that if I can lower the
carbs under 60g/day, I can lose weight.

So as I am trying to get healthy, I am thinking about all of these
things...my past weight loss and weight gain, my diet, exercise, the
book's premise, etc. I used to donate blood regularly, so I know that I
am an O+ type. MY entire immediate family is O+, but some members of
DH's family are A's. I thought about how this might be true, at least
to some extent based on my own family, but I needed a larger sample of
people, people that did not know what I might be looking for in the
survey. Of course it is all a grand generalization and very
non-scientific, but fun.

What follows below doesn't come from the book, but it is a close
paraphrase of the book's premise so I copied it here:

Type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive
tract retains the memory of ancient times, so you're metabolism will
benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict
grains, breads, legumes, and beans and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Type A ("for agrarian") flourishes on vegetarian diets, "the inheritance
of their more settled and less warlike farmer ancestors," The type A
diet contains soy proteins, grains, and organic vegetables and
encourages gentle exercise.

The nomadic blood type B has a tolerant digestive system and can enjoy
low-fat dairy, meat, and produce but, among other things, should avoid
wheat, corn, and lentils, If you're type B, it's recommended you
exercise moderately.

The "modern" blood type AB has a sensitive digestive tract and should
avoid chicken, beef, and pork but enjoy seafood, tofu, dairy, and most
produce. The fitness regimen for ABs is calming exercises.

Here is a link that talks about diet for your type. It is a crash
course for the book-It is a running website, so just scroll down:

http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/nutrition/bloodtype.asp

I'll post the results in the next few days. Sorry to keep you waiting.

  • [Homestead] Health Generalizations, Part I, EarthNSky, 10/17/2008