homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small camping trailer was: Draft Animals

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small camping trailer was: Draft Animals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 07:23:31 -0500

> 'rigs'
I first encountered the rigs in the late sixties in the area around Mojave,
CA. By that time they were mostly pickup campers but you could still find
an occasional wagon though all I saw were pulled by a pickup. I worked in a
garage in Mojave and would be sent out to work on the pickups. They found
some remote areas to graze. As winter came they moved down into the valley
then in summer moved up into the mountains. I went to school at Antelope
Valley College and can remember being late to class as I had to wait while a
huge flock crossed the road.

>- and the food!
There used to be a Basque restaurant just west of Rosemond, near Willow
Springs Raceway. I like going there whenever I had a chance but the last
time I was there it was closed. There are still several Basque places in
Bakersfield but I have been told they are disappearing. Sheep are no longer
herded that way.

>Thank you for all the information -
Thank. It I an area of interest of mine. I have books and files on
portable shelters.

Don Bowen KI6DIU