homestead - Re: [Homestead] Earth architecture -N. Khalili

  • From: Shepperd <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Earth architecture -N. Khalili
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:50:55 -0500

I heard on NPR on Saturday, that a South African architectural firm, MMM, was named the winner of the inaugural Curry Stone Design Prize at the IdeaFestival in Louisville.

The MMM design uses sandbags in a similar way as Nader Khalili, except timber frames are used for stability. Here are some pictures of one of their projects, dating back to February, 2008:
http://www.dezeen.com/2008/02/27/sand-bag-houses-by-mma-architects-2/

At 08:47 AM 9/28/2008, you wrote:

On Sep 28, 2008, at 8:04 AM, bob ford wrote:

> This is a good site for low cost, labor intensive architecture.
> There are vidoes showing hands-on, also on website May not be
> practical in all regions. This guy, Nader Khalili, is ingenious. I
> bought a book by him , years ago. ...bobf
>
> http://calearth.org/

If you still like Khalili's stuff, check out the ferrocement houses
Steve Kornher is building in Mexico. This will get you started:
http://ferrocement.com/kornher/kornher.01.en.html