homestead - Re: [Homestead] Algic Languages, was Problem uncovered by foreign leader

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Algic Languages, was Problem uncovered by foreign leader
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:39:09 -0800

I will check the numbers but I'm not sure that archival artifacts at
Berkeley are cateloged anywhere but Berkeley in most cases.

Should my cousin get a copy of the tapes, then I'll let you know and you can
send as many tapes as it would take to make copies.

Geez James, you should know me well enough by now to know I wouldn't have made an offer if it would be an "above the call of duty" thing <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Those tapes go high on my 'gotta have' list. A copy of the tapes would be
fantastic but it's far above the call of duty. If you are by the Humboldt
County library, it would be forever appreciated if you would check to see
if the
tapes have a catalong number, library of congress number, etc. and then I
can
request them or a copy through inter-library loan.

I was always suspicious about that 'last speaker died' business. I can't
help but imagine there are groups of native speakers all over the country
who
say, "So that's what you think. Good. Now you are out of the picture."

Nobody permanently occupied the area where I live now during pre-invasion
times. But by historical times it was sojourned by the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
who
speak an Iriquoian language and by the Shawnee who are Algonquins. My
checkered
pedigree has a whole branch of a family, of all things, called Bush, who
were
Cherokee. Herself's family suddenly took on a racial trait of dark hair
and
nearly black eyes some 200 years ago and the geneology has the husband of
one
great great grand dame bloted out of family records. Turns out he was
Shawnee, of course and no one wanted to own up to it. One of my sons has
a haunting
appearance, he has red hair, freckles, and nearly black eyes.

So things Algonquin (and Algic, to include the western branch) interest
me.

There is a community not 70 miles from here in Morganton NC where shop
signs
and street signs are in English and Cherokee. I've been there to visit
but
could not get anyone to talk with me. They would smile politely at my
attempts
and then go silent.

I'm not even going to try to fathom it. </HTML>