homestead - Re: [Homestead] apple harvest

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] apple harvest
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:08:08 -0800

Arkansas Black start arriving from local orchards around here in September. We're supposed to be Zone 7. No one around here grows the Spokana Beauty.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

I have a Spokane Beauty and an Arkansas Black that are bearing heavily for the first time this year. I read that the AB is harvested in late October, but mine are already half red. Do they really need 7 more weeks? If anyone else is growing these, what do your apples look like right now? I am in zone 7. I read that SB is harvested in early October, but that site is for zone 5 in Washington, wouldn't mine be ready before that since I have a longer season and an earlier last frost date? I also have an old fashioned red delicious. All of the apples still have a bit of green on them, but that AB is looking fine with almost maroon red apples. If I wait too long, the deer will take them in one night. I would rather have an apple that is a few days under ripe than lose them. I know that the local apple festival (in the next county) is held during the two weeks in mid October. Maybe I should pick them all circa Oct 1?

Akka