homestead - [Homestead] Egg production loss solved

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Egg production loss solved
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:28:01 -0500

I discovered why egg production from our two little red hens has been nonexistent for about a week now. It is quite a thrill to open the exterior nest door and find a big blacksnake lying in a nest. Got the long-handled loppers and poked at it, thinking it would drop into the henhouse and then go out the door. It made the fatal mistake of sticking its head out at me and opening its mouth in a threatening manner. I was impressed enough to use the blades of the loppers just behind the head.

It had a big bulge in its middle about the size of a squished egg.

I regret having to kill this snake. Blacksnakes eat mice, which helps to reduce rattlesnake and copperhead populations in the house area. This snake, or its mate, took two phoebe nestlings a few weeks ago. I let it be, thinking of mice. But my eggs, well, that is my food, and that is where one of the lines is drawn.

  • [Homestead] Egg production loss solved, Gene GeRue, 08/08/2008