homestead - Re: [Homestead] Don't Tread on Me

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Don't Tread on Me
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:54:37 -0800

Mighty scary as we are in agreement again. When we left the coast, through no real choice of our own (our 10 year plan fell to poop when the LAites sold their McMansions and discovered our little corner of the world), since I have fog instead of blood <g>, we choose very carefully. This valley is about 75% folks who can and do most everything from scratch. The farmers market really IS a farmers market where the local farmers bring their surplus and either sell it or barter for what they don't grown on their own place.

And, there won't be wandering hordes that so many folks are soooo worried about. I've read where people are worried about where to hide their lone cow. Ah, those folks wouldn't know what to do with a cow. It used to be a joke about kids thinking milk came in cartons and didn't know it came from cows. Well, that day has truly come!

Those "hordes" won't make it any further than a tank of gas and then they won't know what to do once they get "there." Plus, most don't even have a tank of gas but rather go from a couple of gallons bought here to a couple of gallons bought there!

We shop less and have more and more from our little chunk of land. Although, this is a bad year. The lack of sun for over 5 weeks has put a major dent in the veggie garden. We finally have sun (happy dance) but we are only now entering the lightning/fire season, so who knows what the future holds for produce this year.

However, we will certainly have more than enough jam (wild black raspberry and strawberries from our garden) and watermelon rind pickles (I just finished canning another bunch). <g> I supposed that wouldn't be considered a balanced diet.

Oh well, next week we start in doing turkeys. So we'll have that meat in the freezer. Then we'll do a lamb or two. So that will add more meat protein.

Lynda, off to take the lats batch of watermelon pickles out of the steam canner (no, not pressure canner)
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

snip<

As to the roaming hords, I'm not concerned. Roaming hoards of the past had
survival skills and could live off wild stuffs in a pinch, endure heat and
cold. Any roaming hoards we generate now of days, well, they aren't your
grandfather's roaming hoards! Just as soon as they run out of gas or can't find a
hamburger to unwrap, they will likely fall over dead anyway.