homestead - Re: [Homestead] One year vision

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] One year vision
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:16:30 -0400

On Aug 3, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:

On Aug 3, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

On insulation: what's the current "technology" in insulation?
How much money are you willing to spend?

Gene,

Oh, maybe $0.25 a square foot. HAH!

There are some super insulation products, mostly foam,

That makes sense. I'll look into it. (Why, I even understand the basic concept of "R" value!)

.. Ease of entry into the existing walls
and attic space might suggest one type over another.

That may be the good news here. There are two wings on the back of our "new" house. One is basically a long rectangle with a BIG stone fireplace smack in the middle. Someone ran a wall side to side at the center of the fireplace and put in ceilings in both resulting rooms. The wall supports nothing. The ceiling rafters only support the ceiling. Above the ceiling at the eve are a couple of windows that now do nothing for people.

If (when!) we took out the wall and the ceilings, we'd have a fine, big, room with roof-shaped ceiling and a nice big stone fireplace in the middle. The roof rafters are 3-1/2 by 4 inch timbers. There, and in the walls, is where the insulation will need to go. After we put in lots more windows.

It may well already be too late in the year to consider opening the walls.

This is likely not a this-year project. Yes, it's August now, and first frost in The Finger Lakes might be surprisingly soon!

Fine Homebuilding magazine recently did a feature piece on insulation
comparisons.

I've enjoyed Find Woodworking, and find that the Homebuilding one is just as good. I'll find that issue and at least copy the article. A back issue order is a better idea.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd