homestead - [Homestead] The Exodus

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The Exodus
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:51:23 EDT

Over the past many years the advice has been that one must secure some land
in the country because soon all the retiring Gentleman Farmer Esquires will
be
moving to the country and drive up prices.

The current general fall in real estate prices not withstanding, high fuel
prices have already begun to have an effect on real estate:

http://tinyurl.com/3vlp8k

Two summers ago I hired out to paint hotel rooms that were being converted
from smoking to non-smoking rooms. I'd worked at a lot of hotels and motels
in
my misspent youth and was familiar with all and sundry jobs there. I got to
know the crew in the trenches and was surprised the extent to which people
commuted to these very low paying jobs. I was being paid by the room, so low
pay
was my own dodge, easily avoided by some bestirring of myself. But the rest
of the people barely made ends meet and some commuted from 30 or more miles
away.

If that weren't bad enough, the (typically) cheapskate management panicked
over every dime of payroll and if someone were cleaning rooms or doing
laundry
and because of low volume were done in five hours, they were expected to
clock
out and leave.

We have handily rounded a corner where without a substantial increase in pay,
these people simply can't show up at work.

Soon it will also take its toll on all the Gentlemen Farmer Esquires all of
whom I've seen come and go are deeply fossil fuel dependent.

The exodus has begun! </HTML>