homestead - [Homestead] Ah, memory

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Ah, memory
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:37:35 -0500

Well, here it was once again, eight o'clock and still light, wanting the girls to be locked up so I could be done for the night, and of course they were still out pecking half-heartedly at weeds and dirt. So I said, okay, let's do as Marie suggested and get some light in that henhouse so they will get their red butts in there before dark. So out I go to attend to it and, of course, there it was already, the light system I had installed over twenty years ago for just that purpose. Sigh. And the bulb even still worked. Double sigh.

It is fortunate at such times that one's children and grandchildren do not witness the dropped jaw, the crossed and glazed eyes, the head shake, the aw, sh--t, all of which signals that their parent/ grandparent has really lost it.

You youngsters just have no idea what you have to look forward to.