homestead - Re: [Homestead] We made and offer

  • From: "Karen Northup" <knorthup1 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We made and offer
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 23:55:01 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: tom [mailto:tom AT honeychrome.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:58 PM
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org

If you do not have children of school-age you'll likely qualify for
the STAR exemption on your property taxes. Yes, NY property taxes
are high, so every little bit help. Be aware that your town may be
'sneaky' in the application dates, etc. each year, hoping people miss
them and miss on the exemption even though they qualify.

Hi ~

I live in central NYS, about 20-ish miles east of Ithaca. Peeking out of
lurkdom to offer information about the School TAx Relief (STAR) Exemption
tax relief program here in NYS -- there is no requirement of having or not
having children of any age in order to qualify for this program ---- from
the website of the NYS Office of Real Property Services: "The Basic and
Enhanced STAR Property Tax Exemptions are homestead exemptions. Basic STAR
is available to anyone who owns and lives in his or her own home. Enhanced
STAR is available to senior homeowners whose incomes do not exceed the
statewide standard." Basic income limit is $90,000 for upstate homeowners
(higher in downstate metropolitan areas). Application deadline for most
towns is March 1st, but the local assessor's office can give information
specific to your situation. For Basic STAR, you only need to apply once,
but I think you have to re-apply annually for the Enhanced STAR.

Hope this clarifies things.

Karen