homestead - [Homestead] We've made an offer!

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] We've made an offer!
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 23:28:36 -0400

.....on a place in Ithaca.

The place that had 170 acres, Roy said the house was too much for us. It really needed to be taken down to the pegs and completely redone. As much as both of us wanted the acreage, the house just completely daunted us.. Also, the house gave me uncomfortable vibes. I don't know why.

We made an offer on a teeny little place with a very funky little eyebrow colonial. It's younger than this house by about 100 years. Eh, huge draw back, no hardwood trees except the ones that ring the house. But, it's about ten minutes outside town...there are two barns, one old one, one new Morton barn, both in really good shape with electric and water. Roy can have the older, smaller building as a workshop, I can do the ponies and the sheep in the big barn, and there will still be room to park cars in there in the winter. The front half of the barn has concrete floors, the back is already all rubber matted. There's a pond, a stream, it's fenced. By that I mean the posts are in, but are strung with two strands of barbed wire, so we will need to run some wire, but the hard part is done. There's a POOL! HAhahahahaha I don't even like to swim but I sure do like to float around reading under an umbrella with a book in my hand. The house is horse shoe shaped, and there's a gorgeous flower garden in the middle. I really wish it was herbs but once I see what I've got, I can always tuck them in here and there. And there's loads more room, besides, I can really put them anywhere. There are at least three apple trees, a pear tree, tonnes and tonnes of flowers coming up around the outside of the house tulips, roses, violets, something which I think was lenten rose. All the lilac bushes are starting to come out up there now. There was at least one rose hip bush, forsythia, ...it was amazing. The seller lived there for thirty years and the garden really shows it. It's all in pasture. The seller kept fox hunters.

The house, not so much. The kitchen is teeny weeny, the baths are kind of gross, and the upstairs floor plan is really, really weird, but I am SO excited because you know, that just means we can redo stuff a little bit at a time exactly the way we want it, without worrying about whether or not we are potentially messing up resale valuee, like I was worried about to a certain extent in this house. The ugliest, ugliest ugliest room in the place is a sort of den that was added on, the windows are so stubby I can't even see out of them but GUESS WHAT!!!! It's the south facing wall so we are ALL about putting a conservatory on the side, which will transform the room. There's a whole HUGE mud room space, in addition to a laundry, and a lot of space to turn into pantry. There's a teeny tiny little office just off the kitchen which is bright and sunny and which I am claiming as my own little sanctum sanctorum. : ) There's a teeny tiny little bedroom which is a walk-through, so I plan to put the kids in one room on either side and they can share the little room as a closet. There is an easy place to convert to a separate in law apartment.

There is a tiny little town five minutes away down the hill, there a real town. Teeeny, one of each of the bare bones...a bank,gas station, mini-independent grocery, a place that made really really good New York style pizza. Oh my oh my, I'd forgotten how good that stuff is...flat, foldable, crispy, with ultra gooey cheese. I was in such heaven. I may hang up my peel! ; ) And then it's 15 minutes to Ithaca. When my kid has a choice of three different kinds of yoga class, and I can go snag up Moosewood's "Chocolate Moose"...(hahahaa) and then I can go over to the Co-Op and not only is the produce local and organic, the signs tell you which farms the stuff came from and the employees are owners. There were six different live music performances to pick from tonight that I saw in the papers, or stargazing at Cornell's Observatory.

I am really, really hoping we get it. We wrote the contract this afternoon, we've got a tentative home inspection scheduled for Friday. There's even a pony-sized sleigh in the barn. I'm hoping he leaves it, I might ask after the negotiations are done, just buy it separately.

I'm a little excited, can you tell?

Whooohohohohohohoooo!

Celia

  • [Homestead] We've made an offer!, paxamicus, 05/07/2008