homestead - Re: [Homestead] Traps for Carpenter Bees?

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Traps for Carpenter Bees?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:38:06 EDT

I've googled it, and there are lots of kits and products for sale, but I
found no instructions for making your own trap (yet).

With a different search, though, I found this little paragraph:

"Carpenter bees can be a problem when they decide to drill holes into the
wood trim on your house. If the wood has been painted you are in trouble!
About
the only thing you can do with painted wood is to cover it with either ?Ben
Gay? or ?Vicks Vapor Rub? . The bees don?t like the fumes from these
products
or the sticky stuff on their legs, so stay away from anything coated with
this, until the fumes subside and the grease hardens. On the other hand, if
the
wood is stained or raw unfinished wood, you can do something. Paint the wood
with kerosene or fuel oil wait several days and put on a second coat. You
can
mix stain with this if you want to stain the wood at the same time. The
kerosene or fuel oil soaks into the wood surface and the bees will not chew
this,
it burns their mouth parts."

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

listings at AOL Autos.

  • Re: [Homestead] Traps for Carpenter Bees?, Bunjov, 04/25/2008