homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading may become very cool

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading may become very cool
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:09:20 -0500

I sometimes wonder if the Christian attitude that God will come down and
take over the World and re-make it - and that this will happen any day now,
as the prophesies are all coming true (and have been for the last 2000
years) - is one reason that Western Society is so willing to trash the earth
and live like there really is no tomorrow on this planet. I wonder how our
world might be different if the central tenet of the Christian teachings was
that God would judge each of us for how we behaved in life, and how we took
care of what She / He created. Instead, we have this Apocalyptic tenet which
seems to indicate that God will come in - soon - as the great destroyer and
re-builder (a latter day Shiva) - and that belief system seems to remove the
onus from us. We are to USE the world, not take care of it so it will
outlast us. Too bad, but perhaps those of us who don't share that world view
can make enough of a difference in our choices.

Gloria