homestead - Re: [Homestead] On work horses

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On work horses
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:48:45 -0400

> It's the same way with horses, a 2000 lb horse will not eat 2 1/2
> times what
> an 800 lb horse will. Most likely, scarcely any more unless he
> is working a
> lot.

Good points and of course, accurate. It was more a statement that small and
useful and docile might be easier to deal with than large useful and docile.

> Says I, to make use of the subtle difference of an exotic breed one must
> first understand and be grounded in the common stuff. Don't
> start out with Top
> Bar Hives unless you have some experience with the more common
> Langstroth hives.
> Don't try to raise Yaks for dairy animals unless you've done
> cows or goats
> for a while.
>
> Like that, an experienced draft horse person might be able to
> make use of the
> differences between a common draft animal and the exotic horse in
> question,
> but it will not spell the difference between success and failure
> for those
> starting out. </HTML>

Nothing amiss in the above either. I didn't gather from the article that
they were all that exotic or fragile but in any event we would never buy an
animal based on one article, without local resources, or for that matter
based on the mailing list. It will be after careful research if at all.

We are years from buying a horse I just thought the topic of a small-breed
draft suitable horse might be of interest on a Homestead list.

Warren