homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food costs

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food costs
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:55:38 EDT

> Over the past 35 years I have encouraged people to eat a starch-based
> diet-few have listened.

While I very much agree with the good doctor, a starch based diet is the most
healthy and economically feasible, his conclusions about animal products are
only true (to the extent he reports them) withing the commercial food and
agribusiness model.

I just came in from a place in the woods running amok with chickens
scratching out bugs and fungus and others in the field eating grass. We eat
those
animal products, eggs and meat, without it involving any food being removed
from
human consumption at all. We are making use of resources that without the
chickens are beyond our avail. Likewise milk, chevon, and to a large extent
rabbit.

The problem ins't eating animal products, it's eating agribusiness products.

To be sure our consumption of meat is WAY below the national average. When
they came out with the recomendation that people eat less than 17 oz of red
meat per person per week, we said "What? People eat that much, do they??"
Yet
four quarter pound burgers over a week (yuck!) would just about take care of
it.

My guess is that in the groceries and the marts people are now schwinging out
the plastic in a futile effort to delay the inevitable. I can see the
Pirates of the Caribbean charater Davy Jones coming up to the timid shopper
...."Do
you feah carbs? Do you feah the healthy food? All your bad habits laid beah
... I can offer you an escap-puh" </HTML>