homestead - Re: [Homestead] China, Tibet, Olympic boycott--here's one answer

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] China, Tibet, Olympic boycott--here's one answer
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:48:29 -0400

I'm going to go read this article Gene, thanks. Glad your home safe. : )

I think y'all might be surprised by my stance on boycotting the Olympics, which is this: who cares?

I have been part of the process many, many times on getting horses long and short listed. I was the "sous chef d'equipe" for the chef d'equipe of the three day team and some of the show jumping teams in the late 80's. I can tell you that in my sport, the "amateurs" going to the Olympics have spent millions to get there. If it wasn't their millions, which has happened, it's someone else's. I've loaded trunks of horse clothing with "Crown Royal's Artos" or "Newman's Own 'The Natural'" on planes headed to these "amateur" contests. In the past when there was a question of sending our horses, to Barcelona, for example, in more than one case the riders went as individuals, or participated as members of other countries' teams, by buying European horses whose quarantine restrictions were not the same.

The Olympic ideals are dead just like democracy and honour in this administration. Who cares who goes? This is just Pelosi trying to pretend she still has principals that don't involve bending over the .....never mind.

I'm not feeling very Pollyannish today, I'm afraid.

*smiling wanly*

Moon